Monday, August 1, 2011

Almighty is not the Means. He is the End.


“Ouch!”

“Is it hot?”

“Kind of, but proceed. . .J

“Ok ma’am. . .”

“OUCH!
*runs a finger across her hand*
Smoooooooooth!
Bill please!”

J
I’m talking about a beauty salon.
Welcome to the life of Bhulakshmi Strapsi, a beautician at Beep* Beauty Salon.

Like any other person before a big event coming up, I was tensed about how I’d look, irrespective of whether others looked at me or not. That’s when I went to Beep* Beauty Salon, one day before My Conference. I had no idea that I’d be meeting one woman I’m bound to respect and admire for the rest of my life. . .

In her gentle voice, she asked me, “How’s college life then?” while she was working on making me look presentable for the next day. Here’s another reason I respect her: No matter how hideous, she could make them look good enough for whatsoever event.
And like any other skeptical idiot, I assumed she wanted to engage me in conversation, so that even if waxing hurts, I wouldn’t know and thus, she wouldn’t be blamed by her employers.

What that small bit of conscience could hear, inside of me, was inaudible to my cynic ears. There was a sense of pleading, a certain amount of pain in her question. “How’s college life then?”

How would I know?

Bhulakshmi Strapsi is a 19 year old.
She never attended college. . . Although out of choice, she regrets it now.

But as it happens in most paths, there was no looking back for Bhulakshmi.

Shit happens. But I don’t know how most of the shit happened to this innocent. . . Woman.




You see, Bhulakshmi is a MARRIED 19 year old. I’m sure you’ll agree. . . It is legal, but way too young an age to live in the bond of Holy Matrimony. At an age where the concept of Marriage itself is strange, getting married is unfair!

Bhulakshmi didn’t want to get married. But she did, because her parents, coming from villages, thought it a ripe, ideal age for this Bond.

Bhulakshmi’s Husband has 2 sisters. . . Both are yet to be married.
Why does Bhulakshmi work: To help her husband conduct these marriages.

Bhulakshmi’s parents don’t know she’s working. Bhulakshmi’s husband doesn’t want her to work. Bhulakshmi still works.
Bhulakshmi’s employee doesn’t want her to work outside of Beep*. Bhulakshmi takes the risk and still works. To increase her meager income of Rs. 3500.

Why does Bhulakshmi work: To help her husband conduct these marriages.

Bhulakshmi wishes she could study further. Bhulakshmi wishes to widen her scope of getting a better job. Bhulakshmi’s parents don’t know she works. Bhulakshmi’s husband doesn’t want her to work.

YET, why does Bhulakshmi work: To help her husband conduct these marriages. . .

At the tender age of 19, where she can’t understand what web this cruel reality has spun her into, where she didn’t want to get married, where she married a  man 4 years senior to her, where she married without will
Bhulakshmi Strapsi, without bothering about her parents ‘trust’, without bothering about the man who held the threads of her destiny: her husband, without giving a damn to the rest of the world; struggled to make two ends meet for one man her fate had tied her to: her husband.

Meet Bhulakshmi Strapsi, the essence of Feminity, the embodiment of Sacrifice.
If you’re looking for something to put Your Faith in, and if You refuse to believe in God. . . Meet Bhulakshmi Strapsi’s arduous journey. Her unwavering loyalty towards a stranger of a man. Her bright, glowing hope that someday, Life would be better. Life would show her a more smooth path ahead.

Meet Bhulakshmi Strapsi. . .
Who truly believes
Almighty is not the Means. He is the End.


*: Name changed for Bhulakshmi's safety. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment